Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Today I start a healthier me

Actually, I started a healthier me last year but this year will be even better. One baby step at a time.
This whole process began when my husband gained 20 lbs over the holidays in 2009.
In 2010 we began to eat healthy and the weight began to drop for both he and I.
At the end of May we were side tracked due to a job promotion and move. It was easier to eat out since there were so many places to try close to where we live.
Then came Oct. his brother was diagnosed with colon cancer, his blood pressure was out the roof and his diabetes was totally out of whack. His brother is doing fine for now...we'll just have to wait and see.
In Nov. his other brother was diagnosed with diabetes and was in the hospital for about 3 days.
Both brothers hounded my husband to get himself checked out.
Finally in Dec. I got my husband to commit to a Dr. day. I was sure they were going to find him very unhealthy but to my surprise, other than being overweight, the onloy other thing they found was a high blood pressure. A month later, his blood pressure is under control.
As for me... just my diabetes and high cholesterol which we are still trying to get under control. Finding the right medication combo.
So now that we're getting onthat on track, my next step is to quit smoking. I took my first Chantix pill this morning and by next Wednesday I'll have my last cigarette. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment